Skip to main content

BlogIlkar Guest Review vol. 1


Rafael De Alba once again shares his thoughts and comments with you and judges this year's entries. He is also going to oslo 2010 so maybe you will have a chance to have a chat with him! He treid his luck in the Spanish selection this year with Chelsea Boy, last year with One more chance and even covered one of the songs in the Finnish final, De tu lado
I look forward to this year’s contest. For starters, there is a great variety of genres:  musical theatre style from Spain, Poland, Norway, Belarus; folk entries from Finland, Serbia or Greece; contemporary numbers from Sweden, Germany or Estonia; good old-fashioned pop from Cyprus, Denmark or Armenia, plus a couple of decent dance numbers. Some complain about the proliferation of ballads this year, but it is likely that the voting in the semi finals will filter some of them out and will deliver a well-balanced final. However, I do think we saw better quality songs in Moscow overall.
I have done my best to sum up each song in one word:
Albania = Quality. Could this be their year? Watch Juliana - a great performer, and the English version sounds fab. 5/5
Armenia = Overproduced. Eva is beautiful, but the song does not quite get where it should. Added to a patchy performance on stage, I give it 3/5
Azerbaijan = Safe. Mmm not sure… Not offensive, but it does not grab me. I’ve heard it all before, there is something missing here… 2/5
Belarus = Elegance. The orchestration sounds superb, the singing is spotless; but the song is a bit dated, I almost preferred their first choice. 2/5
Belgium = Plagiarism? I cannot like a song that sounds like another song. The verse’ structure is too close to the beginning of ‘Walking in Memphis’. 1/5
Bosnia Herzegovina = Weak. Nothing offensive either, but compared to the other songs, I am afraid this one gets lost… 1/5
Bulgaria = Catchy. A few years old, but I would not mind this getting through, if only just to inject a bit of rhythm amongst all those ballads. 2/5
Croatia = Class. If this wins I will be very pleased for Croatia. A much better song than Feminnem’s previous entry was, and their singing is great. 5/5
Cyprus = Charm. I love this song from beginning to end, and Jon’s voice is superb. Even the bridge is cool. Ronan Keating could have sung this. 5/5
Denmark = Pleasant. But it doesn’t do it for me despite their excellent performance. The verse is too close to Sting’s ‘Every Breath You Take” 3/5
Estonia = Experimental. A very brave entry, I love its originality. Sadly it will not appeal to a broader audience, and it is also a bit repetitive. 3/5
Finland = Folk. Well, what can I say? I like its happy feel and will probably do well, but where is Antti Kleemola? I loved his ballad, that is not fair! 3/5
France = Ethnic. Well, well, well… You’ve got to love the rhythm. Though a bit repetitive, this could do well with the right choreography. 2/5
FYROM = Balkan rock. Pleasant, mid tempo number. I think it will struggle to get through, and if it does it will not go beyond. Might grow on me. 2/5
Georgia = Gorgeous. Lovely ballad. The problem is, there are so many of them! But at least this one does not feel out of date. 3/5
Iceland = Je ne sais quoi dire! Nice disco tune, but I still miss Euroband! 2/5
Germany = Contemporary. This might get the highest placing of the Big 4 countries, and will possibly break through the European market. 4/5
Greece = Greek! Like Serbia, this is local pure folk. I do prefer this one though. However, it does not have the X factor that Paparizou had. 3/5
Ireland = Brave. Old winners always welcome, but this is almost too similar to Didrik’s ballad. And, let’s face it: Ireland has won too many times… 4/5
Israel = Style. Pleasantly surprised with Harel’s performance. I would even compare its quality with that of our great Patricia Kaas. A true winner! 5/5
Latvia = Simple. Not too keen, but apart from the hideous “Mr God” bit, I think this entry is a serious contender - almost as catchy as the Spanish one. 3/5
Lithuania = Fresh. Lithuania goes eccentric again! I think it might get through. I like the political message as well. Problem: a bit repetitive. 3/5
Malta = Mellow. For this song to get through, they will have to work incredibly hard to improve the overall concept. On stage, she looks scared. 2/5
Moldova = Confused. That’s how I feel when I listen to it. I first thought: toilet break, but they open the show! Why a saxophone solo on first verse? 1/5
Netherlands = Embarrassing. It brings me back to childhood, and that was some years ago! Almost as bad as Chiki-Chiki (well, maybe not so bad). 0/5
Norway = Hymn. Well executed love anthem. A strong contender even though it sounds a bit Disney. Didrik’s timbre is similar to Ewan McGregor’s! 5/5
Poland = Risky. I like risk-taking songs. This one also falls into the musical theatre genre, but has a strange progression.  Memorable though! 3/5
Portugal = Lyrical. A more complex song than the runner up, but I do think Catarina was robbed! Still, I cannot help but love my neighbours’ music! 4/5
Romania = Magnetic. The tension between the vocalists works for me on stage – of all the songs, this gets me quickest onto the dance floor! 5/5
Russia = Shock. There is something very beautiful and melancholic about this tune. But the live singing is shambles. Second verse lyrics are terrible! 2/5
Serbia = Serbia! Folk songs usually get my vote, but I fear this one is too local and will not get voted beyond the Balkans (which means, it’ll get through). 2/5
Slovakia = Nox meets Ruslana. I know many like this one, but it just does not grab my attention. I miss Forogj Vilag! 2/5
Slovenia = Mistake. Forgive me, but I do not see the point of mixing four different genres in such an incoherent manner within a 3-minute slot. 1/5
Spain = Secure. Best choice from NF, but I worry about its appeal to younger audiences. Still, the guy is charming and the overall number is magic. 4/5
Sweden = Superb. I sincerely hope this hits the UK charts. Anna is a young Dido. No, even better! Great choice, excellent runner up too! MF Forever. 5/5
Switzerland = Classic. I fear televote will not do this song justice. Shame, because this sounds much more contemporary and French than it looks. 4/5
Turkey = Tame. This is the first time a Turkish entry might struggle to get to the final. I do like the chorus, but the choice of chords is too predictable. 2/5
United Kingdom = Tacky. No comment… Josh’ voice is good, but we all expected better from Waterman. I cannot see this working. 1/5
Ukraine = Moving. Third time lucky! Cool rock ballad. I miss Vasyl’s deep macho tone and flawless vocals, but I must admit this works better. 4/5
Thank you, patient readers! I have been a bit harsh with some scores simply in order to secure a range of placements, but I know I will listen to all songs for hours on end (with the exception of the Netherlands). My forecast below is based purely on personal taste. I know the real voting will be totally different! Happy Eurovision!
Here are the results of the Spanish jury:
10th place – Georgia
 9th place – Spain
 8th place – Germany
 7th place – Albania
 6th place – Romania
 5th place – Norway
 4th place – Croatia
 3rd place – Cyprus
 2nd place – Israel
and the winner is… SWEDEN!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESC 2016 WISH LIST: MARGARET FOR POLAND

Małgorzata Jamroży aka Margaret has also been tipped for Eurovision and apparently she did turn it down but she'd be perfect. She's got a look and persona you can't unnotice nor forget, she's got hit songs, she has been voted or nominated for everything from Trendy artist to the Hope of the Year, Fashion Icon and Glamour Woman of the year besides the usual best video, song, album, debut..... Oh she's also a fashion designer! She's very clever with social medias and would surely use it to her advantage if selected for Stockholm 2016. Her debut album is titled Add the blonde , do we need to say more? Except it includes mostly Swedish written pop tunes like Tell me how are ya , Wasted , Start a fire and Heartbeat . And of course her debut single and internationally noticed Thank you very much that you can enjoy below with all its anti-textil feel. I think she's Eurovision perfection, she's cheeky and fun, can we have her?

SONGS OF THE YEAR 2015: #5 KRISTA SIEGFRIDS - ON & OFF

Krista Siegfrids is delivering nice pop tunes one after another and this one is particularly catchy and soon you will be singing along..... Hopefully her Melodifestivalen entry will be equally good!

MALTA: THE QUEEN OF L-GHANJA TAL-POPLU - CORAZÓN MIZZI!

If The Travellers have proven recently one can do great singing in Maltese there's also someone else doing great stuff: Corazón Mizzi. While in Malta I was looking for some Maltese CDs only to find out they pretty much don't exist, and the most helpful staff in legendary D'Amato - probably the world's oldest record store today - suggested me Corazón's Hawn jien (2014 album). Having nothing else really to bring home I decided to go or it without even realizing it is the Corazón from Maltese Eurovision selections. And what a find it was! Thank you D'Amato! But let's start from the obvious: Eurovision. Corazón has been offering us songs in the Maltese Eurovision selection since 2009, actually making her best result this year with Falling glass , one of my favorites btw. I also liked last year's Secretly but that failed even the final. But Corazón's true calling is singer-songwriter in Maltese as this excellent album clearly shows. We have al

ESC 2016 BELARUS: NAKED WITH WOLVES?

Today's funniest Eurovision related story comes from Belarus. Some sources claim Ivan wants to perform on stage naked and with live wolf or wolves. It surely would be a first on Eurovision stage! We have seen some forgotten underwear over the years, and some cardbox animals though..... Is it time to take things a bit further?  No, according the rules live animals are not allowed, and Eurovision being a family show nudity won't do either. (It seems to be ok to be half naked if you are a dancer though..... )

EUROVISION 2024.... COMING UP!

 

GREECE: HELENA PAPARIZOU HITS AGAIN WITH HAIDE

Eurovision song contest 2005 winner Helena Paparizou has been enjoying Top-5 hits every year since 2003 with the exception of 2010 and 2014, this latest one being already her 27th! And Haide is charting also in Bulgaria and Finland, of all places. The catchiness of her hits has changed less over the years than her face....  Here's the English version , below the Greek version. 

EUROVISION TWEETS REVEAL DETAILS....

Brandwatch, one the world's leading providers of analytics of social medias has summed up the Twitter buzz during the Eurovision 2013 final on May 18, 2013. Over 1,8 million tweets have been analyzed and it's rather fascinating stuff. On top you can see the figure showing topics. Romania and Ireland got the tweeting go wild as did Greece, Belarus, Malta and Armenia. And you can see political tweets took over during the voting..... The figure above is for the emotions. Once again Romania and Greece got it going wild. A lot of love and joy was spread all over during the show while hate & anger increased during the voting. Is someone surprised? But have a look and analize yourself here . And here you can access to country by country details. Did Ukraine's giant get people's attention? or Moldova's outfit? Did Ireland have sex factor? Or Azerbaijan? And what about Belgium's dance routine?

FINLAND: CONGRATS HANNA PAKARINEN - BABY IS COMING!

No more leave me alones as Eurovision 2007 veteran Hanna Pakarinen has published in her Youtube channel a video unboxing the Finnish state's maternity box aka layette set thus announcing she's due to have a baby later this spring. Congratulations!

ESC 2016 ARMENIA: IT'S IVETA MUKUCHYAN!

Armenian tv has revealed tonight the name of their artist for the 2016 Eurovision song contest in Stockholm. It's 29-year-old Iveta Mukuchyan. Born in Yerevan she moved with her family to Germany when she was 6. At 23 she moved back to Armenia and continued her music studies. She has taken part in the Armenian Pop Idol finishing 5th in 2010 and she also did The Voice of Germany . In 2012 she was voted the Sexiest Armenian.  Armenian tv has made a call for songwriters all over the world to submit a song for her by November 13, 2015.  Let's see which direction the final choice will go, Freak or her latest release that you can hear below.... Whatever it is it will be an improvement from last year's fiasco.....