Skip to main content

Blogilkar Exclusive: KURT CALLEJA INTERVIEW - BELIEVE AND ACHIEVE!


Last night in Amsterdam, Robert had the chance to ask some questions to the Maltese singer KURT CALLEJA before he would move on to Milan for another promotional activity tonight, in London Live 2.0 Tv programme.

Could you please tell the readers a bit more about yourself, your experience in music and when you got known in Malta?
Kurt:I am a 23 year old guy and the eldest of 3 boys. My youngest brother Kevin plays the guitar in my band. He is going to be on stage with me on Eurovision. Originally, I was studying to be a chef in the kitchen and actually did that a couple of years. And during that time I was also taking some singing lessons and working on getting to know the music better. That was the reason to stop in the kitchen because I was getting some good work in the music business so i decided to get a day job and do that in the evenings. About a year later I moved to London and full time I was working as a flight attendant. In the evenings, I was playing in bars, restaurants and clubs. It was a great experience. After that year, I returned to Malta and started to do television there 3 weeks later. We are speaking now of the year 2009. At first and until now I mostly sing covers but recently I started writing my own songs. Because the thing is, I can write some good lyrics but my music melodies are very cartoon/ 8 year old melodies that does not sound very modern. So, what I'm doing now is that I write lyrics and collaborate with Johan from Sweden who is my composer. He also composed my Eurovision song “This is the night “ and my preselection song from last year in the Maltese selection. I never had a training in writing lyrics but I remember doing this already at a young age. Writing lyrics on my Eurovision song “This is the night “only took me 25 minutes.
Could you please explain how you got in contact with a Swedish composer and how a Swedish song reached you?
Kurt: I was invited to sing in Venice by the Ministry of Culture. Johan, a vocal coach from Sweden was there also with his students. Meeting Johan was just coincidental and was my destiny. We were having lunch, chatting and what started as a joke turned out in something nice. Last year, he sent a song to me that I really liked. We did well with it in the Maltese preselection of 2011. We got a 3rd place out of 160 applicants so that was not bad at all. We decided to work on the same recipe this year with a difference in style.. Last year, we made a soft rock ballad. This year, its more of a dancy song which I think is more appropriate for Eurovision. We use the same team, the same recipe but just the things we made mistakes in, we did not do them.
Will you release a full album soon after Eurovision?
Yes, in fact as soon as I get back from Eurovision I have only week free. Because I will fly to Sweden to work with Johan on another 3 tracks. I will include last years preselection song also on the album and I got a track written by my guitarist and another song will be written by a famous Maltese singer/songwriter. All together the album will have 8 tracks. I will launch the new album after the summer no matter what the outcome of Eurovision will be. I will be going all around Europe to the places where I did my Eurovision promotion to promote the new album.
Malta is a small country. For professionals in the music business it's quite difficult nowadays. Can you do this as a full time living?
You have to be versatile. You have to be very ready to work at the moment's notice. But yes, you can. I can play the piano a bit and I can do that for the whole night. If they need me in a club, I need my club repertoire or I can do a traditional Maltese night. I love to do coverversions and give my own colour to it. In the future I hope to do more of my own and would love if others would cover my songs.
We are one month away from Eurovision. This coming month, how will your agenda look like?
I'm sure this month will pass by very quickly. The next 2 days I will be in Milan where I will be singing on a very popular tv programme. Then I will go back to Malta where I will have a show everyday for about 1,5 weeks. In the meantime I have to squeeze in rehearsals with the band, vocal training and physical training. The act for Eurovision is done. We just have to rehearse it constantly
to be able to do it with more confidence. The 5th of May is my birthday and that will be my only free weekend before Eurovision. I will treat myself to a nice massage. Monday the 14th of May, I will already arrive in Baku. There the time will also be full with rehearsals and promotion activities.
Do you know any of the former Maltese Eurovision singers?
I'm very lucky to be the nephew of the Maltese singer of Eurovision 1993: William Mangion. I know Fabrizio Faniello ( ESC 2001, 2006 ) who is doing a promotion in Indonesia right now.
Are you hoping for an International career with the help of Eurovision and your new cd?
I'm lucky. I think, I have a quite open mind. I met people that helped me to think outside the box. My plan is, I do not know if it will work or not, to be able to use Eurovision as a platform to launch an international career. I have been a Eurovision fan all of my life and I see it already as a big achievement to participate in it. It was always a dream of me and an ambition to mark this on my checklist of things to do in my career. Since the winning of the Maltese preselection especially ESC countries like Azerbaijan, Turkey and Spain showed great interest. Outside Europe, there are 2 countries interested to launch my cd: Malaysia and Australia.
Have you listened to all the other songs of this year's Eurovision? What you think of it?
I did not have the time to listen to all of them. It's a shame. I did listen to the Spanish song and I think Pastora Soler has an amazing voice. She has a lot of potential. The song transmits so much emotion. My personal style is closer to the German song: Roman Lob's Standing Still. My preselection song from last year is a bit similar to the German song. So, when I heard the German song for the 1st time I was a bit surprised.
Do you have a special message to Blogilkar's readers?
I guess this is my motto, I really enjoy to share this with other people, My motto is: Believe and achieve! I lived by that these last couple of years. Believe in your dreams. We live in a world where our friends, for reasons to protect you, say that certain plans are very unlikely to be achieved. The truth is yes, it's very unlikely that I will be the next Bruno Mars but in my mind, I want to be there. I want to reach for the stars and might hit the moon. Participating in Eurovision was already very unlikely a few years ago and look where I am now!


Blogilkar thanks Kurt and Robert for this interview and wishes May 26th will be Kurt's night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESC 2016 WISH LIST: MARGARET FOR POLAND

Małgorzata Jamroży aka Margaret has also been tipped for Eurovision and apparently she did turn it down but she'd be perfect. She's got a look and persona you can't unnotice nor forget, she's got hit songs, she has been voted or nominated for everything from Trendy artist to the Hope of the Year, Fashion Icon and Glamour Woman of the year besides the usual best video, song, album, debut..... Oh she's also a fashion designer! She's very clever with social medias and would surely use it to her advantage if selected for Stockholm 2016. Her debut album is titled Add the blonde , do we need to say more? Except it includes mostly Swedish written pop tunes like Tell me how are ya , Wasted , Start a fire and Heartbeat . And of course her debut single and internationally noticed Thank you very much that you can enjoy below with all its anti-textil feel. I think she's Eurovision perfection, she's cheeky and fun, can we have her?

SONGS OF THE YEAR 2015: #5 KRISTA SIEGFRIDS - ON & OFF

Krista Siegfrids is delivering nice pop tunes one after another and this one is particularly catchy and soon you will be singing along..... Hopefully her Melodifestivalen entry will be equally good!

MALTA: THE QUEEN OF L-GHANJA TAL-POPLU - CORAZÓN MIZZI!

If The Travellers have proven recently one can do great singing in Maltese there's also someone else doing great stuff: Corazón Mizzi. While in Malta I was looking for some Maltese CDs only to find out they pretty much don't exist, and the most helpful staff in legendary D'Amato - probably the world's oldest record store today - suggested me Corazón's Hawn jien (2014 album). Having nothing else really to bring home I decided to go or it without even realizing it is the Corazón from Maltese Eurovision selections. And what a find it was! Thank you D'Amato! But let's start from the obvious: Eurovision. Corazón has been offering us songs in the Maltese Eurovision selection since 2009, actually making her best result this year with Falling glass , one of my favorites btw. I also liked last year's Secretly but that failed even the final. But Corazón's true calling is singer-songwriter in Maltese as this excellent album clearly shows. We have al

ESC 2016 BELARUS: NAKED WITH WOLVES?

Today's funniest Eurovision related story comes from Belarus. Some sources claim Ivan wants to perform on stage naked and with live wolf or wolves. It surely would be a first on Eurovision stage! We have seen some forgotten underwear over the years, and some cardbox animals though..... Is it time to take things a bit further?  No, according the rules live animals are not allowed, and Eurovision being a family show nudity won't do either. (It seems to be ok to be half naked if you are a dancer though..... )

EUROVISION 2024.... COMING UP!

 

GREECE: HELENA PAPARIZOU HITS AGAIN WITH HAIDE

Eurovision song contest 2005 winner Helena Paparizou has been enjoying Top-5 hits every year since 2003 with the exception of 2010 and 2014, this latest one being already her 27th! And Haide is charting also in Bulgaria and Finland, of all places. The catchiness of her hits has changed less over the years than her face....  Here's the English version , below the Greek version. 

EUROVISION TWEETS REVEAL DETAILS....

Brandwatch, one the world's leading providers of analytics of social medias has summed up the Twitter buzz during the Eurovision 2013 final on May 18, 2013. Over 1,8 million tweets have been analyzed and it's rather fascinating stuff. On top you can see the figure showing topics. Romania and Ireland got the tweeting go wild as did Greece, Belarus, Malta and Armenia. And you can see political tweets took over during the voting..... The figure above is for the emotions. Once again Romania and Greece got it going wild. A lot of love and joy was spread all over during the show while hate & anger increased during the voting. Is someone surprised? But have a look and analize yourself here . And here you can access to country by country details. Did Ukraine's giant get people's attention? or Moldova's outfit? Did Ireland have sex factor? Or Azerbaijan? And what about Belgium's dance routine?

FINLAND: CONGRATS HANNA PAKARINEN - BABY IS COMING!

No more leave me alones as Eurovision 2007 veteran Hanna Pakarinen has published in her Youtube channel a video unboxing the Finnish state's maternity box aka layette set thus announcing she's due to have a baby later this spring. Congratulations!

ESC 2016 ARMENIA: IT'S IVETA MUKUCHYAN!

Armenian tv has revealed tonight the name of their artist for the 2016 Eurovision song contest in Stockholm. It's 29-year-old Iveta Mukuchyan. Born in Yerevan she moved with her family to Germany when she was 6. At 23 she moved back to Armenia and continued her music studies. She has taken part in the Armenian Pop Idol finishing 5th in 2010 and she also did The Voice of Germany . In 2012 she was voted the Sexiest Armenian.  Armenian tv has made a call for songwriters all over the world to submit a song for her by November 13, 2015.  Let's see which direction the final choice will go, Freak or her latest release that you can hear below.... Whatever it is it will be an improvement from last year's fiasco.....