Skip to main content

ESC 2016: ALBANIA, AZERBAIJAN, MALTA AND ARMENIA REVIEWS

For the first time the Blogilkar panel has six people reviewing, and quite an international team it is: a Finn, a Brit, an Irish living in Belgium, a Dutch, an Italian living in Sweden and as a cherry on the cake, a German living in the UK! In coming days we will review all the entries with out personal notes. 
Four foxy ladies to kick of this year's Eurovision song presentations. Enjoy!

ALBANIA - ENEDA TARIFA - FAIRYTALE
(Olsa Toqi)
This was the first chosen song for this year. When it won the Festivali i Këngës it was in Albanian and titled Përrallë. It has gone through a major revamp since and unfortunately not succesfully it seems...

Blogilkar: Albania in original arrangement and in Albanian was somewhat interesting; a bit mysterious and intriguing. The new mix in English falls flat by the time the chorus kicks in. Even Eneda has lost the sparkle in her voice with it. This can be now saved only by an owesome staging that will take away from the 13-in-a-dozen standardized entry. And all the Albanians living abroad voting for her. Very long three minutes.....  3
Jack: Albania was my favourite in 2015 with Elhaida so I was really excited to see what they'd send this year however I'm afraid I was left disappointed. Fairytale isn't a bad song but a bit dull. And why must she sing in English? The Albanian version was much more interesting and stronger. I doubt we'll see Albania in the final... 4
Peter: Pretty boring entry, it seems like they purposely went out of their way to manufacture a song and build it up. Not sure it works - it certainly doesn't leave an impression with me. 4,5 
Robert: I love the Albanian version; the expression and the intensity of her singing, the melody. I didn't understand what it was about but it didn't matter, I knew from the beginning it would be one of my favourites. Then months later Eneda released this revamp in English for Eurovision. I never heard a more disappointing makeover! In English it totally disappear from my radar; the song and the singer just sound less intense. Pity. In this way I can't give more than 3 points.
Michele:  I never found this entry particularly strong, but in the original version in Albanian it still had something fascinating. The revamp has completely killed it. The arrangement is cheesy and amateurish, the refrains never seem to take off and the English text does not contribute anything to that. This becomes a generic song like many others. Final? I'd say no. 4
Markus: Very secure voice technique with a little bit too much screaming ... I miss the highlight in the song ….I am afraid this is in my opinion way too average. 3
AZERBAIJAN - SAMRA - MIRACLE
(Amir Aly, Jakke "T.I Jakke" Erixson, Henrik Wikström)
Səmra Rəhimli was chosen internally and the song shopped from Sweden as usual.

Blogilkar: Very standard radio friendly pop tune that makes me think of the fabulous 80's and its real popstars. Hopefully her vocals live are more like Sabina or Dilara and not like Safura as then this can turn out rather sad effort. All in all very unoriginal, not very memorable but this is Azerbaijan so we will hear this in the final for sure. A solid safe entry from Sweden. 6+
Jack: Even though many believe Samra is going to take the trophy back to Baku, I can't see it myself. It's a great song and I'm really looking forward to see her live but there's something lacking to make her a winner. She will do pretty well though I guess. Maybe. 7
Peter: Good entrance, confident and Samra has a good voice… good beat and different sound - it will stand out, but will it stand out enough? If its sound can get people's attention and the refrain is catchy enough it will probably go to the final. 6
Robert: Nice songs that starts very promising but also a bit repetitive towards the end. The chorus does not really catch me as Samra would maybe like. But certainly not bad. I do not predict a top 10 though. 7-
Michele: Without infamy and without praise. Azeris buy yet another entry from  Sweden, without particular personality. It is a radio friendly and attractive but fairly anonymous, convincing to a certain point, and certainly goes into the final. But there is likely to go unnoticed. 6
Markus: Typical Swedish factory production like 1000 others. Well arranged and she's got an amazing voice. I am sure the televoters will dial for her but I doubt the jury will... I listen to these songs too many times before so its only 6
MALTA - IRA LOSCO - WALK ON WATER
(Lisa Desmond, Tim Larsson, Tobias Lundgren, Molly Pettersson-Hammar & Ira Losco)
This year's major nonsense drama comes from Malta. As usual the national final selection was held, with semifinal and all, and two dozen of singers with original songs. Ira won - as if there was ever a doubt about it - and later changed her song. Many think this is unacceptable behaviour for many reasons, even if there has been a small print in the national final rules this could happen. And yes, they also went shopping in Sweden for the song.

Blogilkar: Ira is good. This said it's a shame her song isn't better. Don't know if it's the poor sound quality of Youtube (that is all I have heard of any entries so far and my judgement is based on that) but I found the arrangement very messy and confusional. Like Azerbaijan this is a very safe, 80's pop inspired radio friendly middle of the road entry. Rather uninteresting one, too. Can't give more votes as if this was not an Eurovision song I wouldn't ever care to listen to this.  6,5
Jack: I know there was some drama when she changed her song but I do believe it was the right decision. Walk On Water is among my favourites - maybe even my #1 - and I really hope Ira will make the final and do well there. It will be interesting to see how they stage it. 10
Peter:  Good strong entrance,  the beat moves throughout the song, though the refrain is not so strong, it does have a good beat and that makes for a good song. Not sure it will get to the final though. 5,5
Robert: Malta is definately sending the most professional singer since ages to the contest. Having said that, the song is just ok, certainly not bad but not exceptional. Also the strange change of song in the end gives a bit of a negative twist to it. I feel there are just too many songs like this in the contest and there are better ones. 6,5
Michele: It's a very modern song and uptodate, without a doubt the most modern ever presented by Malta. You hear the Swedish production and even the pen of the same authors of Hunger by Molly Pettersson Hammar. Wanting to be critical you could say that it's basically the same idea of ​​the song. In the left side of the scoreboard in the final standings. 7
Markus: Ira Losco … what can I say … Not happy about the way they chose her song. Malta should not make a song contest if they change the song afterwards. They try hard this year without any doubt. She is maybe the most successful female singer on the Island but I do not understand the hype around her. Final yes but she will struggle there in my opinion 5
ARMENIA - IVETA MUKYCHIAN - LOVEWAVE
(Lilith Navasardyan, Levon Navasardyan,Iveta Mukuchyan, Stephanie Crutchfield)
Iveta was chosen internally and against all odds the song is a local product.

Blogilkar: The intro is like some J.Lo hit from the 90's. The arrangement gives a lot of hooks for a great staging and at least it's very bold and interesting. A LOT depends on her vocal performance as she goes from whispers to husky nearly screamed parts ... The violins are fabulous. But is there much of a song after all? For sure there's no dull seconds and the three minutes are full even before you are ready for it. I'm still on the edge to fall in love totally or dismiss this. A bit risky but that's much better than playing it too safe (look above!). At the moment 6,5. After seeing the live it can go either way.
Jack: The beautiful Iveta will be hoping to bring Eurovision to Yerevan for the first time ever - and I don't think it's impossible. This song is unique, edgy and I think they will create an amazing show. And isn't the instrumental just stunning? Maybe one to watch. 8
Peter: I like the opening, though the narration is still a bit corny. The buildup is solid and it gets to a nice crescendo… and then it goes downhill from there … not very memorable, and a bit over the top on the "you"s … not much of a melody or captivating song here. 4
Robert: Very daring, mysterious and intriguing song from Armenia this year. Beuatiful video as is the singer. With the right staging this could be a big surprise. I start loving it more and more. 8
Michele: This is a song that takes several listenings. At first it left me perplexed,  it seems to be there more to create a very suggestive television staging but the melody remains weak. It is well produced, it has a distinctive arrangement that mixes a modern sound to a more folk ... but overall it does not convince me and gives me little. 5,5
Markus: Love the violin part towards the end of the song..... Another song without any highlight and hard to remember after I listen to it …..3

Check out the other reviews: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESC 2016 WISH LIST: MARGARET FOR POLAND

Małgorzata Jamroży aka Margaret has also been tipped for Eurovision and apparently she did turn it down but she'd be perfect. She's got a look and persona you can't unnotice nor forget, she's got hit songs, she has been voted or nominated for everything from Trendy artist to the Hope of the Year, Fashion Icon and Glamour Woman of the year besides the usual best video, song, album, debut..... Oh she's also a fashion designer! She's very clever with social medias and would surely use it to her advantage if selected for Stockholm 2016. Her debut album is titled Add the blonde , do we need to say more? Except it includes mostly Swedish written pop tunes like Tell me how are ya , Wasted , Start a fire and Heartbeat . And of course her debut single and internationally noticed Thank you very much that you can enjoy below with all its anti-textil feel. I think she's Eurovision perfection, she's cheeky and fun, can we have her?

SONGS OF THE YEAR 2015: #5 KRISTA SIEGFRIDS - ON & OFF

Krista Siegfrids is delivering nice pop tunes one after another and this one is particularly catchy and soon you will be singing along..... Hopefully her Melodifestivalen entry will be equally good!

ESC 2013: SERBIA'S BIG GUNS

Serbia is one of the most succesful Eurovision countries in the recent years and this blogger 's favorites. This year I am again very curiously waiting for their entry and what they will offer us when they have a national final once again after last year's internal selection. Many bigger and smaller names have been rumored to have sent a song, or have confirmed so themselves. Among then a 63-year-old disco diva Neda Ukraden , Eurovision veteran Vukašin Brajić 's OT Band, Danijel Pavlovic who is Marija Serifovic's step-brother, national final veteran Ana Nikolic and other names like Nenad Cvijetic , Dejan Petrovic, Zejna , Ivana Pavkovic , Vanja Mijatovic .... Let's see who really are in when the final 15 out of 80 will be announced for the March 2, 2013 final. These 15 will be cut to five for the superfinal by televoting. Then we have Bojan Bjelic , who apparently was sending his song Mora before he decided not to blaming the contest is fixed and Serbian

GOODBYE, FAREWELL...

The time has come. After all these years, 5,7 million visits, 12.000 articles I guess the time has come. As much as I love and care for Eurovision it just doesn't feel the same. The Corona years took their toll and the past two years and certain decisions have helped me to mature the idea that next year I will hear the songs for the first time in semi-final just like any so called local.  The bubble has burst. Add the toxicity in social medias and fandom. The arrogant teenagers who saw their first contest somewhere 2017 or even 2021 who think they know it all and only their opinion matters. Did I mention the toxic atmosphere on social medias? I'm too old for that sh*t. It's been a long ride that took me to various Eurovision on spot as a fan and tourist,  as a journalist, as a delegation member. I met some great people, made memories of lifetime. In stressful, sad periods of my life this blog has been my safe place, a place to escape and forget everything else for an hour o

Summer songs: Samantha Fox & Sabrina - Call me

Summertime is the time for cover versions and remixes. The late 1980's war of the boombs is over when Samantha and Sabrina put their bras together and cover Blondie's Call me in peace and harmony. Amore, chiamami!

ESC 2016 BELARUS: NAKED WITH WOLVES?

Today's funniest Eurovision related story comes from Belarus. Some sources claim Ivan wants to perform on stage naked and with live wolf or wolves. It surely would be a first on Eurovision stage! We have seen some forgotten underwear over the years, and some cardbox animals though..... Is it time to take things a bit further?  No, according the rules live animals are not allowed, and Eurovision being a family show nudity won't do either. (It seems to be ok to be half naked if you are a dancer though..... )

Et voilà! Anggun presents Echo (You and I)

So today we finally heard the French entry in Eurovision 2012 in Baku by Anggun. Echo (You and I ) is rather bizarre mix of many things and just when you think you get it the songs takes a turn to another direction. Whistling all along. Very catchy it is. Call it an earworm if you want. Still I wouldn't scream a winning entry but... we will see. In Patricia Kaas like ending me thinks.

Blogilkar Exclusive: RAMBO AMADEUS INTERVIEW

My flying reporter Robert met Rambo Amadeus in his hotel this morning and what an interesting and entertaining meet it was! Unfortunately the time wasn't enough as this man has lots to tell about many topics. However, here are the main things! Thank you Rambo for this interview and first of all, how an earth Montenegro wanted you to represent them in Eurovision? I don't know! I really don't know. I didn't want to ask any questions why they wanted me. So they came to you, you didn't go to them? Of course. Everybody comes to me..... And everybody knows you and that you are bit, maybe a lot, Eurovision skeptic. Why did they come to you then? Well, I think they want the audience to pay attention to them? I think the new, young and ambitious director of RTCG decided to do some kind of shock therapy. He probably thinks there's nothing to lose. I asked him "Are you sure? Do you know my work?" and he said yes. I think they are learning how to g

GREECE: HELENA PAPARIZOU HITS AGAIN WITH HAIDE

Eurovision song contest 2005 winner Helena Paparizou has been enjoying Top-5 hits every year since 2003 with the exception of 2010 and 2014, this latest one being already her 27th! And Haide is charting also in Bulgaria and Finland, of all places. The catchiness of her hits has changed less over the years than her face....  Here's the English version , below the Greek version. 

Blogilkar exclusive: PASHA PARFENI INTERVIEW

My flying reporter Robert managed to get hold on Pasha Parfeni from Moldova today who has become during this week pretty big favorite to do well. How did he end up in Eurovision, what his goals are and is his granny better than the ones from Buranovo? And will we get a cover album full of Eurovision later on? Find it out here: Why do you want to participate in Eurovision? That's a very difficult question... I want to be a star! A worldstar, ha ha! But I know it's not easy even in Eurovision, only Celine Dion and ABBA have made it. But I can make myself a bit more known, it's good for promotion. After Eurovision I will finish my album and my promo-CD already has nine songs. We will recod maybe 4-5 more and it will make a good album. With what result will you be happy here? Happy? … Top-10! Then I'll be absolutely happy! So if you don't get to the final you will be totally depressed? Yes, maybe... Yes, it would be hard. For me and my team. What are y